Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Rhythm and rhyme, utterly sublime~

I have always loved poetry. Simple rhythmic poems that create a picture with words. Like short brightly colored artist brushstrokes I enjoyed writing poetry.

I see on Face Book many young people enjoy expressing themselves in a similar way. I hope they continue to grow and get encouragement to become a truly gifted writer someday.There are wonderful poets to read, study and be inspired by.

The Bible is one of the most beautiful books for literary greatness. Solomon comes to mind in his great, God given wisdom, he shares everything from the Proverbs, with their just plain "good sense" to his deeply passionate love story between he and his wife in Song of Solomon.

But, one of my favorite poets of all time is Robert Frost. This winter we had an unusual weather pattern. We received several steady, heavy snowfalls. Each time I bundled up myself and my little 12lb Lhasa/Shitzu girlfriend, Coco, and we braved the elements in a late night walk.

With the quiet stillness of the streets, the incredible beauty of the snow, we would jump and play all alone in the deserted neighborhood. We would then walk over to the edge of the old road that leads to a wide meadow, lined with tall statuesque evergreens standing guard around the edges, and we would just stand there and "take it all it in."

It leads me to think of this poem by Robert Frost.

Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

- Robert Frost


Lord, you know the length of my days and the miles yet I have to go. Please fill me afresh with your Holy Spirit that I may be empowered to serve You all my days. I love your wonderful creation. Most of all I love You, the Creator. Thank you for all You have done for me Jesus. Amen





All Content Copyright © 2009 Darlene Taylor. All Rights Reserved. Copying, forwarding or reproducing this blog in any way without the express written consent of the author is strictly prohibited. Permission may be obtained by writing the author. Thank you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home